Featured Post

1100 Playwright Interviews

1100 Playwright Interviews A Sean Abley Rob Ackerman E.E. Adams Johnna Adams Liz Duffy Adams Tony Adams David Adjmi Keith Josef Adkins Nicc...

Stageplays.com

Jul 5, 2017

MUCH THE MILLER'S CHILD

A scenelet from my soon to be published Robin Hood play, Marian or The True Tale of Robin Hood. (Sam French)  Coming this summer to Cincinnati and Nashville.


ROBIN
(drawing on the ground.)
They’ve taken Tommy of No Consequence!  This will not stand.  It is time to plan our prison break.  Shirley is getting more detailed plans but for now, we’ll approach from the north.  Friar Tuck is in charge of southern diversion but the bulk of the Merry Men will approach from this point.

MUCH
Um.  I’m sorry.

ROBIN
What is it, Much?

MUCH
It’s the term Merry Men.

ROBIN
You’re thinking why are we Merry when we’re attacking?  But we can be.  I want us all to thoroughly enjoy our mischief as well as our bloodletting.  Have fun out there, men.

MUCH
Actually, it’s the “men” part.

ROBIN
What do you mean?

MUCH
I’m not—I mean I don’t feel like a man.

ROBIN
Okay.

MUCH
I don’t want to dress like a man or talk like a man or drink like a man.  Or kill like a man.  I just don’t identify with all that comes with manhood and manliness. So I want you all to know, I’m not a man anymore.

WILL
Are ye sayin’ you’re a lady, Much?

MUCH
Not a woman neither.  I think that I’m not a man or a woman.  Neither of those things feels like who I am.

LITTLE JOHN
What’s happening, Robin?

ROBIN
So what would you like to be called?

MUCH
Just Much.  I’m a person.  A human being.

WILL
You’re Much The Miller’s Son.  You can’t change who you are.  That’s who you’ve always been.

MUCH
Right.  That too.  Don’t call me Much The Miller’s Son.  Call me Much The Miller’s Child.

ROBIN
Okay.

MUCH
And instead of saying him when you’re talking about me, say, “They or them.”

WILL
Are there two of you, Much?

MUCH
I know it’s not ideal.

ALANNA
We could say “he/she.”

MUCH
No but I’m not a he or a she.  Just say “they.”  It’s fine.  It’ll be fine.

ROBIN
What about Merry Men then?  Should I say, Merry Men and also Much?

MUCH
Maybe Merry Personages?

ALANNA
Merry people?

WILL
Wait a minute.  Wait a minute.  People can’t just stop being one thing and start being another thing.

MUCH
That’s not—

ALANNA
Yes they can.  You can wake up in love.  You can wake up to thinking a new way you never thought.  All sorts of things could happen.

LITTLE JOHN
Can it?


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Enter Your Email To Have New Blog Posts Sent To You

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Support The Blog
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mailing list to be invited to Adam's events
Email:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Adam's Patreon

Books by Adam (Amazon)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice!

walatra propolis said...

thanks good your article

walatra sehat wasir said...

Thanks for information

obat wasir said...

WASIR atau biasa kita sebut AMBEIEN merupakan salah satu kondisi dimana terjadi suatu tonjolan dari anus yang disertai dengan tanda secara umum BAB BERDARAH, PERIH
Obat Wasir

gejala dan tanda darah tinggi said...


Semoga bermanfaat artikel yang Anda bagikan.
Gejala Darah Tinggi
Tanda Darah Tinggi Naik